Friday 7 February 2014

The Story of Laundry (part two)

One day I worked passed a laundrette and noticed that the soap machine had the same artwork on it as it probably did in the 1970’s and 80’s.  On a closer look it became apparent that much of the artwork (posters and the like) where of much the same period.  This must have stuck with me.  Later as my brain was in creative mode I came to realise that many of the laundrettes that I had been in had the same sort of appearance.

I had decided.  The Boots 400 was going to be used to shoot laundrettes.  Thirty-six frames of washing machines!

I had anticipated that the film at 400asa was likely to be quite grainy.  I expected that due to the age and treatment of the film it was likely to have wacky colours.  I also reasoned that the MTL3 and Helios 50mm (from my original Zenit 11) would give the image a lomography feel to the photographs.  In short, I expected the subject to suit the film.

Being a fan of Martin Parr, I thought I would treat this as a bit of a joke subject; a little sarcastic and indeed, I started out this way.  However, as I began to shoot the laundrettes something began to change in my consciousness and a niggle began.

No comments:

Post a Comment