Monday 10 February 2014

The Story of Laundry (part three)



I suppose this began with the shoot of the Langroyd Laundrette in Colne.  I went in to the building and asked the attendant politely if I could take some shots.  She agreed with question.  There was also a customer in there and as I was shooting we were chatting about photography, about film versus digital and about laundrettes.

It became apparent that this man lived on his own and the laundrette was much more than a place to do his washing.  It was also a place for him to chat to people and to pass the time of day.  I just wish that I had interviewed him when I was there instead of concentrating on making pretty pictures.

Another day and another laundrette!  This time in the neighbouring town of Nelson and a similar story began.  This time the conversation was first with the attendant and myself and then an overheard conversation between the attendant and a customer.

Subconsciously, I was beginning to notice that laundrettes where not just places to do washing but were a sort of community hub as well.  Regulars knew each other, some were even friends; Staff had a rapport with the customers that also verged on friendships.

I also began to notice something else.  It’s like when you buy a car, soon you begin to notice the same type of car on the roads.  Were previously you only saw one or two you now see them all the time.  I began finding more and more laundrettes.  Even worse, my daughter started spotting them for me as well!

Some of these laundrettes were also changing my opinion of them.  More and more of them are popping up in our towns and not only that some are very modern, attractive places to be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment